In accordance with Governor Roy Cooper’s Executive Order 117, and to help limit the spread of COVID-19, The President James K. Polk State Historic Site will suspend public operations beginning March 17. All events and programs are cancelled during this time.
The President James K. Polk State Historic Site is located in Pineville, NC. We are minutes from Uptown Charlotte and an easy drive from around the region via I-485.
12031 Lancaster Highway
Pineville, NC 28134
Hours: Tues-Sat, 9:00am - 5:00pm
Daily Admission: FREE. Special Events may require
an admission fee.
Tours: A suggested cash donation of $2 for adults and $1 for children (5-12) or $1 for seniors (62+) is requested.
Have you visited our site recently? If so, click here to tell us about your experience!
The President James K. Polk State Historic Site is home to the birthplace of the 11th President and the only Chief-of-State born in Mecklenburg County, North Carolina. Located just a few minutes outside of Charlotte, the site sits on 21 of the original 150 acres owned by President Polk’s father, Samuel.
- Museum with exhibits on life in this area during Polk's childhood, Polk's rise to fame through politics, the Mexican-American War, and temporary exhibits on a range of topics.
- An engaging short film shown at the top of each hour that expands on Polk's life and his time in office.
- Guided tours of the historic cabins on the grounds at the bottom of each hour.
- A nature trail (temporarily closed for construction during 2020), an historically-inspired kitchen garden, and a picnic area.
- A relocated cemetery where Polk's grandmother is buried along with other family members who lived and died nearby in the 18th and 19th centuries.
Our knowledgeable staff offers daily guided tours of historic structures that existed during Polk’s time. You will visit a tended garden as it was in the early 1800’s, a historic cemetery, walking trails, and a shaded picnic area. Our mission is to bring the life of Polk’s boyhood and Presidency alive to our visitors in a unique and engaging way.
We host a wide variety of special events throughout the year at the site. Visit our Events Calendar to see what's coming up next!
To learn more about our 11th President, take a quick video tour of the James K. Polk State Historical site, hosted by site manager Scott Warren. We also hope you will visit us soon. We host fun and educational events throughout the year that we're sure you will enjoy.
Follow us on social media to stay up-to-date on all the latest news at the site and learn some new and interesting historical facts too!
Plan Your Visit
We love sharing history with groups of all ages!
With a variety of activities to enjoy at the site, we have something to suit every taste. Adult groups of 10+ people and School groups will need to make a reservation and pay a fee to ensure we can provide you with the personalized attention needed to ensure a customized and memorable experience.